LanzaTech is turning our global carbon crisis into a feedstock opportunity with the potential to displace 30% of crude oil use today and reduce global CO2 emissions by 10%. LanzaTech’s carbon recycling technology is like retrofitting a brewery onto an emission source like a steel mill, but instead of using sugars and yeast to make beer, bacteria convert pollution to products! Imagine a day when you can power a plane by recycled carbon emissions, when your yoga pants or sneakers started life as pollution from a steel mill. This future is possible using LanzaTech technology with the first 2 commercial units converting steel mill waste gases to fuels being built; in China with Shougang and in Belgium with the world’s largest steel maker, ArcelorMittal. LanzaTech has an additional 3 commercial projects in the pipeline, in India, South Africa and California. LanzaTech has already produced synthetic jet fuel from recycled carbon emissions and has a partnership with Virgin Atlantic.
In 2017, LanzaTech was recognized as the #1 Hottest company in the Advanced Bioeconomy by Biofuels Digest, the world’s most widely-read bioeconomy daily. The company was also inaugurated into the Cleantech100 Hall of Fame, having been listed in the top 100 cleantech companies over the last 7 years. In 2016, the company won the Young Global Leader Award for Circular Economy at the World Economic Forum, LanzaTech was also the top biofuels company in the 2016 CNBC Disruptor 50 Companies list. In 2015, LanzaTech was awarded the U.S. EPA Presidential Green Chemistry Award for Greener Synthetic Pathways. The company’s accomplishments were recognized through a number of prestigious awards in 2014, including the Guardian Sustainable Business Innovation Award for Carbon and Energy Management, Breakthrough Innovation Award at the Platts Global Metals Awards, and the Technical Development Award from the World Petroleum Council. In 2013, the company was named a World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer.
About the role:
Ability to work in an open and fast-paced environment. This role is responsible for building and maintaining data processing systems/databases as well as analytics infrastructure. This infrastructure is used for quantitative research, back testing, parameter calibration, and data modeling.
- Designing data storage solutions
- Assist in the data warehouse design and scheme development
- Design and develop complex SQL queries to support analysis
- Ability to read, analyze and digest what a business wants to accomplish with its data, and design the best possible data processing tools around those goals
- Data Processing
- Development of data extraction from internal/external data sources
- Develop parsers, loaders and data manipulation tools to support collection and house of data across organization (internally / externally (commercial sites) / 3rd party partners)
- Experience working on systems that handle high volumes of data
- Cleanse, de-duplication and normalize data
- Development and maintenance of scientific data processing and infrastructure.
- Developing and troubleshooting production issues and automating processes to improved data processing efficient.
- Working knowledge of near real-time data processing.
- Data Modeling/Simulation
- Design and build simulation systems for advance analytics (i.e. Hadoop, Hive, Spark)
- Data transformation from warehouse to simulation for Scientific testing
- Analyze and compare new data sources and make recommendations
- Knowledge of statistical computing technologies, such as R, MathLab, Modeling
- Managing queries and directing them to the appropriate data sources
- Data Quality
- Proactive data quality checks & alerts (real-time)
- Build validation to ensure all data adheres to strict quality specifications.
- Process data within thresholds
- Data transfer analysis and alerting on failures
- Identify data anomalies / outliers
- Develop Software development standards – full life cycle
- Define and develop software development framework – repository, training, code release cycle and change mgt. etc.
- Continuous integration and testing
- Consolidate code base repo integrate and check-in/check-out, version control
- Development support for data processing and simulation / cluster computing
- Application development to fulfill Scientific life cycle from concept to product
- Provide / write to 3rd party APIs for data transfer and integration
- Web services / Unify application for Scientist to interface with
- Exploration / evaluation and development of visualization tools
- Data scheme / data parser development
- Software performance benchmarking and analysis
Qualifications and Experience
- Technical comprehension of several data warehouse architecture such as, EDW, ODS, DM, relational or multidimensional online analytical processing (ROLAP and MOLAP), etc.
- Exceptional programming experience with Python, Perl, C++, Java, XML, .NET and/or shell scripting.
- Exceptional troubleshooting and solving complex technical problems
- Experience with visualization technology and frameworks
- A strong work ethic, excellent communication skills and the ability to collaborate closely with Science Teams
- Strong verbal, written communication and interpersonal skills.
Nice to Have
- Experience working with Biological data and Next Generation Sequencing Data.
- Experience with working with Database schemas that are based on Ontologies and Controlled Vocabularies.
- Industry experience highly desirable
- Exposure in statistical learning highly desirable
- Exposure with Pipeline Pilot or KNIME
- Exposure user of standard Bioinformatics tools such as EME, BLAST etc
- Exposure integrating metabolomics, genomic, proteomic and transcriptomic data sets
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. LanzaTech is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.