LanzaTech’s award winning technology is revolutionizing the way the world thinks about waste carbon by treating it as an opportunity instead of a liability. LanzaTech’s unique process provides a sustainable pathway to produce platform chemicals that serve as building blocks to products that have become indispensable in our lives such as rubber, plastics, synthetic fibers and fuels.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Chemical Process Modeling and Simulation Engineer to support innovative process technology development and commercialization initiatives using advanced process modeling tools. We are looking for a PhD Chemical Engineer to develop both first principal and empirically-based process models to support scale-up and process intensification technology development efforts. These models will be used to produce millions of tons of fuels and chemical intermediates via heterogeneous catalysis in numerous licensed process plants worldwide.
The individual selected for this position will lead the modeling and process development engineering efforts to upgrade the products from LanzaTech’s gas fermentation technology to commercial chemicals and fuels. Determination of needed process intensification combined with established refining and petrochemical processing principles will lead to LanzaTech’s ability to scale up and commercialize new product technology. Initial responsibilities include project ownership for the chemical process design, modeling, intensification and project integration for upgrading of gas fermentation intermediate products to fuels and chemicals. This position will participate on cross-functional global teams with Catalytic Conversion, Engineering, Fermentation and Synthetic Biology.
- Incorporate knowledge and data for transport properties, kinetics, and thermodynamics for heterogeneous catalytic reactions into reaction engineering simulations and models.
- Provide guidance and incorporate learnings from bench- and demonstration-scale experimental process development programs, and translate experimental findings to commercial applications.
- Maintain and improve existing suite of modeling tools to support R&D, Sales, and Field Operations.
- Design and continually enhance data feedback and transfer mechanisms to simulation models to provide advanced performance monitoring tools for commercial and demonstration scale plants.
- Integrate reactor based process and simulation models with user-oriented customer-facing tools for advanced process control and key performance indicator (KPI) monitoring.
- Maintain process flow diagrams via reactor models to define and improve heat and material balance knowledge of the process.
- Maintain effective communication with project team members and with the customer
- Work with internal and external customers to identify, evaluate and optimize process solutions related to process modeling, R&D, optimization, design, costing and implementation.
- PhD in Chemical Engineering developing kinetic and reactor modeling of heterogeneous catalyst systems.
- 10+ years of process model and simulation experience in commercial plant support, process development experience in Refining (preferably fuels) working for an EPC, technology licensor or an owner operator.
- Advanced knowledge in chemical kinetics, transport phenomena, and thermodynamics applied to heterogeneous catalysis.
- Skilled with industry standard simulation program such as Aspen Plus, HYSYS, or similar process modeling software
- Advanced knowledge of both steady-state and dynamic process simulation software
- Experience in kinetic, transport, and reaction engineering modeling with a commercial focus in refining, petrochemical, and/or gas processing applications.
- Proficiency in several other Chemical Engineering sub-disciplines including reactor design, process instrumentation, control loops, fluid flow, and separations.
- Demonstrated skills in flowsheet synthesis and optimization.
- Demonstrated experience translating experimental program data to modeling & technology development efforts.
- Demonstrated strong problem-solving skills with ability to parse complex technical problems.
- Demonstrated experience in design, execution and analysis of experiments or scale up of processes.
- Demonstrated experience in process intensification both equipment and methodology including sustainability.
- Detail-oriented and experienced in communicating instructions to other team members.
- Team player that thrives in a cutting edge, fast paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Strong organizational, time management and communication skills.
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Advanced MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) preferred.
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. LanzaTech is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.