LanzaTech’s award winning technology is revolutionizing the way the world thinks about waste carbon by treating it as an opportunity instead of a liability. LanzaTech’s unique process provides a sustainable pathway to produce platform chemicals that serve as building blocks to products that have become indispensable in our lives such as rubber, plastics, synthetic fibers and fuels.
There is an opening for an Analytical Chemist with online and offline gas chromatography expertise in the Analytical Sciences Team, part of the Technology R&D function in Skokie, IL. This position will act as a major resource responsible for GC and GC-MS method development and problem solving on collaborative technology projects. The individual selected must demonstrate depth and breadth of knowledge in chromatography, mass spectrometry, spectroscopy, analytical chemistry, chemical and fuels characterization tools, and their application to diverse R&D programs. This position will develop and support analytics for a wide range of applications relating to metabolomics, fermentation, chemicals and fuels. The position is based at our headquarters in Skokie, IL, but will also support LanzaTech’s demonstration and commercial sites around the world.
Specific Job Function:
- Perform online and offline GC and GC-MS analyses on a variety of sample types for a diversity of R&D applications
- Adapt and develop new methods for utilization of these measurement systems, as well as ongoing maintenance and calibration
- Conduct feasibility experiments as needed to ensure the most appropriate analytical techniques are implemented to support program requirements
- Drive continuous improvement in methods to improve accuracy, throughput and reduce hands on time, investigate and benchmark worldwide best methodologies
- Understand R&D project analytical needs, interpret complex scientific data, and clearly communicate results to diverse stakeholders
- Actively participate in commercial, scale-up field testing and validation of laboratory and online process analyzers at LanzaTech’s demonstration and commercial global sites
- Ph.D. in Chemistry or closely related field
- Minimum of 5 years direct extensive hands-on experience with online and off line gas chromatography (GC and GCMS) analysis and method development
- Must have a fundamental understanding of other complementary methods used in fuel, biological and chemical analysis
- Able to interface and effectively communicate with co-workers and customers from diverse backgrounds and educational levels
- Capable of independently developing and troubleshooting analytical methods
- Excellent analytical problem solving skills
- Adaptable team player that thrives in a cutting edge, fast paced, entrepreneurial environment where priorities can change quickly
- Strong experience in chromatography data systems, mass spec databases and MS Office
- Able to travel nationally and internationally up to 30% as needed
- Method development preferably in an industrial analytical research environment related to refining, oil and gas, biotechnology, chemicals, or renewable energy
- Experience with a wide range of analytical techniques including HPLC, ICP, IC, spectroscopic techniques and titration
- Experience in ASTM or EN gasoline, diesel, ethanol and jet fuel characterization methods
- Knowledge of fermentation, food, alcoholic beverage, flavors or fragrance testing
- Demonstrated experience with process and automation hardware and software ( e.g. Swagelok®, LabVIEW )
- Experience with industrial safety practices such as OSHA, PSM, etc.
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. LanzaTech is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.