LanzaTech’s award winning technology is revolutionizing the way the world thinks about waste carbon by treating it as an opportunity instead of a liability. LanzaTech’s unique process provides a sustainable pathway to produce platform chemicals that serve as building blocks to products that have become indispensable in our lives such as rubber, plastics, synthetic fibers and fuels. LanzaTech is proud to have a great work culture with a diverse workforce. As part of our dedication to our employees and recognition of having a work-life balance, we offer our employees four weeks’ vacation time off per year, flexible work schedules and an engaging work environment.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior or Principal Chemical Process Engineer. The individual selected for this position will lead the modeling and process engineering efforts to upgrade the products from LanzaTech’s gas fermentation technology to commercialize chemicals and fuels. Determining the needed process intensification, and combining with established refining and petrochemical processing principles will lead to LanzaTech’s ability to scale up and commercialize new product technologies. Initial responsibilities include project ownership for the chemical process design, modeling, intensification and project integration for upgrading of gas fermentation products. This position will participate on cross-functional global teams with Catalytic Conversion, Engineering, Fermentation and Synthetic Biology.
- Lead the process modeling, engineering and intensification efforts to upgrade products from LanzaTech’s gas fermentation technology to commercial chemicals and fuels.
- Determine needed process intensification combined with established refining and petrochemical processing to upgrade gas fermentation products (e.g. butanediol, alcohols and ketones to higher value molecules), separate reactive molecules from fermentation broth, continue scale up of and development of high-value co-products from LanzaTech’s alcohol-to-jet process.
- Establish process design, develop process options, and produce models and simulations to evaluate designs using HYSYS or similar software.
- Collaborate internally and externally to establish experimental validation of modeling and process design at the lab or pilot scale.
- Provide comprehensive understanding of principles, theories, concepts, and industry practices and standards and their application; independently apply advanced engineering techniques.
- Accountable for performing all aspects of engineering and design. Develops models and process designs that require innovation and ingenuity.
- Calculate and organize data for process flow sheets including instrumentation and control considerations.
- Develop process flow diagrams to define heat and material balance.
- Maintain effective communication with project team members and with the customer.
- Work with internal and external customers to identify, evaluate and optimize process solutions related to process modeling, R&D, optimization, design, costing and implementation.
- PhD in Chemical Engineering or related engineering or science
- 10+ years of process experience in Refining or Petrochemicals with process modeling software including Aspen Plus, HYSYS, or similar modeling software
- Team player that thrives in a cutting edge, fast paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and work independently
- Detail-oriented and experienced in communicating instructions to other team members
- Strong organizational, time management, and communication skills
- Advanced MS Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated experience in design, execution and analysis of experiments or scale up of processes
- Demonstrated experience in process intensification both equipment and methodology including sustainability
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. LanzaTech is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.